Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Snake!

Rowan was running happily through the water fountains when a SNAKE came up through the little metal grate. It was a baby Garter snake and a of course the kids were excited! There were two other moms there, and their kids were passing this little baby snake around. Of course I was scared but everything I’ve ever known about garter snakes is that they are completely harmless. I thought I shouldn’t pass on my fears to Rowan so I asked him if he wanted a turn. He held the snake and was SO excited/nervous about it. One of the other little girls was holding it, and all of a sudden it coiled up and raised it’s head. Kind of freaked us out, because it’s an attack position, so we told the kids the snake needed to go find his mom and to put him down in the grass. One of the mom’s jumped on her smart phone and immediately read that they were ONCE thought to be harmless but they are actually mildly venomous…and just because they can’t kill you, doesn’t mean they can’t bite/hurt you! YIKES! I felt stupid for letting him touch the snake and have now told him that (just like with dogs) he can’t touch a snake unless I say it’s okay. Glad everyone was okay though…

DSC_0060       DSC_0061DSC_0062-001DSC_0072DSC_0075 DSC_0077 DSC_0078DSC_0079 Little Isla slept through all the excitement. :)DSC_0068

No comments:

Post a Comment