Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ironworker Picnic 2013

I always look forward to this every summer. I know it might sound silly, but it’s a pretty nice event with a catered bbq, lots of games for the kids, and a chance for me to meet some of the guys (and girls?!) Russ works with on various job sites. This year was a bit chaotic with Isla walking and Rowan running around like crazy. We tried to find some shade under a tree to eat lunch and both kids kept dropping their food in the dirt, spilling drinks, and then splashing in the spills etc… Russ and I finally looked at each other, laughed, and said, “ Well…. I guess this year won’t be too relaxing!”

 

Isla enjoying some watermelon. This was the first time I put her hair in TWO pigtails. I about died from cuteness overload. :)2013-08-11 13.08.26 2013-08-11 13.28.572013-08-11 14.25.18They hired the “reptile man” to come put on a show for the kids again this year. Here’s Rowan checking out the turtle!

2013-08-11 13.28.48Here he is with a huge PYTHON!  2013-08-11 13.31.29 2013-08-11 13.31.53The best part about the whole snake being WRAPPED around my son, was how it happened. Russ was saying hi to an old co-worker and I was holding Isla. I told Rowan we should go see what they were doing over there with all the reptiles. He shoved his way through a bunch of kids and ran right up to touch the snake. Now I realize the reptile man has probably pretty good control over it, but usually there’s some type of protocol about how you should touch the snake, and I know I don’t EVER want him to touch any animal by running up and taking it by surprise. I gasped and yelled for him to come back. The man then asked if it was okay if the snake could be wrapped around him. I was hesitant but said okay. Rowan thought it was very cool and honestly wasn’t that phased by it. When the man took the snake back, he just ran off. He later told us that the big bouncy slide was much more scary that the snake. Oy….

Every year they also have a ‘wine toss.’ Just how it sounds, you get 4 rings for $5, and you try and throw a ring around one of the bottles. We don’t usually even try but thought, why not! this year. Russ threw the first two rings… nothing. I am super competitive, even about stupid things like this, so I was pretty happy to get one of my two rings on a bottle. here’s my prize!

  2013-08-11 16.53.38

I usually take more pictures but honestly, it was pretty hard to do anything more than watch these two kiddos this year. :) Rowan is still talking about the picnic and wants to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment