Monday, November 21, 2011

UW Research Participant!

Rachel w Rowan 1

Don’t worry! This isn’t as scary as it looks….

When Rowan was born, the hospital gave me a form to sign if I would like to be contacted about future research studies going on at UW. I thought it would be fun, especially with my background in early childhood, and today we got to do our third (and most fun) study!

This study was on language and how babies process certain sounds. When they showed me the cap he’d have to wear, I never thought he’d keep it on. After they put it into place, one of the gals had to insert a syringe full of saline gel through each of the holes so that he would have the gel on his scalp. This took quite awhile. Throughout the prep, and actual study, there was another girl who’s job was to entertain him. She had a lot of fun toys that made loud noises, played music, lit up, or vibrated. Rowan loved it and did great keeping the cap on. Afterwards he got to use the “hair washing station” which looked like something out of a salon. The lady took some photos of him and emailed me the one above earlier today. I think he looks so serious, and funny!

1 comment:

  1. We have had Logan do some studies at UW, too! They are fun! Rowan looks like he is taking his participation in the study very seriously!

    ReplyDelete