Monday, August 13, 2012

Isla is Here! Birth Story

 

DSC_0449DSC_0438  

It has been one week since our little girl made her entrance into the world. I was supposed to have 3 weeks to go, but Isla decided to come early. I was also considered to be “full term” only 32 minutes before she was born.

Isla (pronounced “eye-la”)Harper Dray was born August 5th, 2012, weighing in at 7 lbs 13 ½ oz, and 20 inches long. I had just told Russ that she at least needed to stay put another week, because Rowan had his first big cold and cough, and I wanted to make sure we had a healthy household before bringing home a newborn. It was also the hottest day of summer so far, and I had only gotten 2 ½ hours of sleep the night before due to waking up with Rowan, and battling the end of my own cough. Rowan was pretty much himself though, during the day, and Russ and I decided to celebrate our 3rd anniversary on Saturday, August 4th. My mom and grandma came over to play with Rowan, and Russ and I headed to Bellevue to the Cheesecake Factory for a late lunch, and some shopping. We had a great time, talking about our 3 years together, and then of course talked a little more about our upcoming birth and changing family. After eating, we headed out to walk around the mall. I was feeling super tired and uncomfortable, and when I went to the bathroom, discovered some blood. I didn’t experience this with Rowan, and even though I wasn’t really worried, I decided to page my midwife. She basically said that labor could be anytime from that very night, to the next 3 weeks, but to be ready since usually blood can signal that things are ready for mom’s who have already had children. Russ and I headed to Whole Foods, joked that I could be in early labor, and then drove home. It was pretty hot in our place, and thankfully we have an air conditioning unit in our family room. We decided to “camp out” in there in front of the air, and even brought Rowan’s twin mattress out, so we could all sleep comfortably. So… not only was Rowan sleeping horribly because of his cough, I’m sure the mattress in the living room didn’t exactly help since his whole routine was off. I laid down to cuddle him to sleep like I usually do, and within about 5 minutes, I felt a ‘pop’ and my water broke. I think I went into shock at this point. My water broke with Rowan too, but it was 4:30 in the morning, and after a good night’s sleep. With him, I only started to get mild contractions, and was able to take a shower, eat a good breakfast, and head to the hospital with a smile on my face. This was COMPLETELY different. I immediately started having strong contractions 30 seconds to a minute apart. I called my midwife, and my mom, to come stay with Rowan, and we began to get our things together. At this point Rowan was sitting up due to all the excitement and we decided to put on a show so he could just relax while Russ and I waited for my mom to arrive. Thankfully her and Brian were there within 30 minutes. I was already in so much pain, I could hardly stand. I told my midwife on the phone that I just wasn’t sure I could deal with another natural birth (since I obviously knew what I was up against) and that I had been sick, and maybe we would need to go to the hospital. She told me to come to the birth center, and that we could assess things, and make a decision. It was Seafair weekend here in Seattle, and a Saturday night, which meant a lot of cops on the road. Thankfully we didn’t get pulled over because I was begging Russ to go through whatever red lights he could, and to drive fast. I usually give him a pretty hard time about his driving, so I think he was happy he could drive without me nagging him, haha. We arrived at the birth center, to my midwife, a student midwife, and a birthing assistant. They put me in the birthing suite I chose the Wednesday before, and started to run a bath. I really wanted a water birth this time because I loved laboring in the tub in the hospital, but they wouldn’t let me have the actual birth in there. My midwife told me she would check me to see how dilated I was, and I told her that if I was only at a 4, I would pretty much keel over and die right there. I could tell she was nervous to have to deliver bad news, so she told me that if I was only at a 4, that maybe it would be a good thing, since the body needs time stretch and adjust to prepare for the birth. I just figured I MUST be further than that though, since I was in such bad pain. She examined me and said I was already at a 7, almost an 8 already!!!! I couldn’t believe it. I was happy, since I knew it wouldn’t be that long, but super nervous because it took me over 10 hours to get to that point with Rowan, and I had only been in labor for about an hour and a half. The pain was unreal. I was terrified to go through it all again after my previous experience but figured it had to be easy the second time around. I just hoped for a faster delivery. I got my wish.. but I think it was actually WAY harder since the pain is more intense. I got in the bath and at this point was at a 9. I was thrashing around like a crazy person, literally biting a wash cloth and squeezing Russ’ hand super hard. The midwives were great with how they spoke to me, held an ice cold wash cloth on my forehead, and fed me Gatorade out of a straw. Russ kept praying for me and that’s all I could do as well. I really started questioning what on earth I was doing, and soon I felt like pushing. This time I wasn’t laying on my back on a hospital bed pushing with a nurse holding my legs. This time, I let my body tell me what to do. I pushed her out in only 7 minutes (unlike 2 ½ hours, with Rowan). When her head came out under the water, the midwife took a look and said very calmly, “Rachel, her cord is wrapped around her neck. It’s pretty tight, and I can’t slip it off her neck until you push her out.” I know it’s pretty common to have the cord around their neck, but I also know they usually slip off pretty easily. My mommy intuition kicked in and I knew I needed to push her out THEN. I screamed bloody murder and pushed her out. Her cord was also really short, but thankfully everything was okay. She came out so fast, that her poor little head was bruised and really dark. She didn’t cry for a couple of minutes which made me worry but the midwives just said she was stunned from coming out so fast, and that her heartbeat sounded good. They just had me rub her back and talk to her. Soon, we heard that most precious sound; her sweet little cry. I did it! I couldn’t believe it. Everything happened so crazy fast, that I still feel like I’m in shock, a week later. After having her on my chest in the warm water for a few minutes, I got out and moved to the bed. They placed her on me and a blanket on top. Our little precious Isla. Such a gift from God. The birth center was a completely different experience, and I really loved the support. Only drawback is that you leave only a couple of hours after birth. We got to the birth center, had our baby, and drove home, all in under 5 hours. I had what is medically coined, a “precipitous birth” which is labor 3 hours and under, and apparently it only happens 2% of the time. It’s funny because I feel like people keep telling me how lucky I am that I had such a fast birth. Yes, I am blessed to have had an uncomplicated labor, and a beautiful healthy baby, but short, isn’t always better. My midwife said it is way more painful, and I’m definitely scared to think about baby #3. I’m afraid I wouldn’t make it to a birth center, or hospital! I don’t have to worry about that for awhile, but it will definitely be on my mind eventually. I’m just glad our sweet girl is here, and we can settle in as a family of 4.

* I uploaded photos from the birth center, but they are seriously all too ‘gory’ to post, lol. I think everything happened so fast, that we really didn’t have time to pose for pictures. :)

4 comments:

  1. congrats rachel! she is beautiful :) and that is a crazy fast birth - whoa. totally worth it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad it was such a smooth and quick process! she's just beautiful! i hope you can get some time to relax and rest up. i know everyone says it, but babies don't keep. soak it all in. the precious and the difficult <3

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a doll, can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Rachel! You did it!!!!!!! You are really good at having babies :)
    Which midwife delivered you?

    ReplyDelete