Monday, April 18, 2011

The Yellow Bench

2011-03-23 11.15.02

I usually like to keep things pretty light on here but wanted to share something a little more on the serious side.

About 4 years ago (June 2007), I graduated from college and moved home to my parents house for the summer to try and figure out my life. I had a diploma, a fresh teaching certificate, and a new lease on life.

This was exciting, but scary at the same time. Finding a teaching job is pretty competitive and I hadn’t heard back from the 4+ districts I had applied to. I did however, attend a job fair where I interviewed for three jobs in Arizona (for the practice) and actually landed them. So, there sat 3 contracts in my room. All I needed to do, was sign on the dotted line, place them back in their manila envelopes, and mail them off, in order to have the job.

This is where my stress and anxiety began. Moving to Arizona where I had no friends or family?? Part of me thought it sounded like an adventure, but I never felt compelled enough to go. I figured I would have to suck it up, and begin my career substitute teaching in the Fall.

Every day I walked down to the lake (a great benefit of staying with my parents!) and found myself stopping to sit on the yellow bench pictured above to think. I know it sounds silly, but it’s true! I would sit there, thinking and praying for God’s clear direction in my life.

I’ve always loved this verse in the Bible:

Take delight in the LORD,  and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.

- Psalms 37:3

I love knowing that I serve a God that wants to bless me! My desires were: a teaching career that I had worked so hard for, a Godly husband, and children.

Every day when I sat on that bench, I prayed about these things and couldn’t see how any of them would happen for me. I wasn’t trusting in God’s provision.

In August, only a week before teachers had to be back at work for training, I got a phone call. It was for an interview. As most of you know, I got the job! I got a job teaching 2nd grade for Lake Washington School District. I couldn’t believe it. About 4 months into it, I met Russ… at church! Now here I sit, holding my baby boy sleeping soundly as I type away and I am reminded how blessed I am.

I took a picture of that bench a couple weeks ago when I was housesitting for my parents because when I saw it, a flood of emotion came over me and I remembered the times I spent there as I pushed my jogging stroller past.

Thank you Jesus for your mercy, your love, and for caring about every detail in my life. My life isn’t perfect by any means, but I sure am blessed beyond anything I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment